38 blocks are squared up.
Laid out, sewn together and neatly pressed to make 5 rows of funky feathers. Those rows are about 72″ long, this is a very huge quilt.
I went ahead and bought the 5 remaining yards not sure how I was going to add in another 1/2 yard of fabric. Once I was home and laid everything out on my floor I realized that I may have just “painted myself into a corner”. I had to walk away for a full 2 days before I could look at it again, I was that aggravated. Finally, after tearing thru my fabric stash and much creative cursing, I found a few coordinating strips of fabric from an old Moda jelly roll.
I was hesitant to cut my backing seeing as it was already short, but I did it anyways and in the end it was the smartest move I could have made. Not only did it give me enough length to complete the backing, but it added another mod feature to the normally “boring” back of the quilt.
I couldn’t even fit all the fabrics in the picture and truthfully there are 3 of the fabrics that don’t seem to work as well as I’d hoped. When you’re trying to find the much fabric in a quilt shop it can just be overwhelming. So I’ve had to rummage thru my stash to come up with substitutes, but, to be frank, 14 assorted prints just isn’t enough variety and this quilt THRIVES on variety. I think it would look hot using vintage fabrics or even doing it all in ombre hues for the feathers.
I really want to make this quilt again using the ombre idea, but that will have to wait.
Wish me luck as I start on this humungous project.
The projected size is 72″ x 90″ (pretty much a Queen sized quilt).